So, the nagging question that has been on my mind is whether which is better? Pay a professional editor or use a personal contact who is very good at editing but who is not a professional in the field.
So far, I’ve been using the later for several reasons.
We argue about sections of my books and whether they need to be there at all.
- How to improve the story by helping to rewrite sections, large and small, while still keeping the intent of the section.
- We can work together editing regardless at any time of day, even well into the night or first thing in the morning. Even before my morning coffee (ah, who am I kidding, not).
- By using someone I know and trust, we can discuss the bigger plot lines, intent and direction of the story along with a host of a number of little things that I can’t think of right now.
- We can discuss future story lines which I can turn into an outline for another book.
- Of course, the usually finding and correcting spelling and grammar errors.
The big question on my mind is this.
Does using a paid professional editor significantly improve the end result which translates in more sales?
What do you think? — I really want to know.